06 Jul 2020
Cat Out of Hell: Dodge//SRT Introduces the Most Powerful SUV Ever - 2021 Durango SRT Hellcat in the U.S. Market
For Muscle Car People with Families, the 2021 Dodge Durango Features New Aggressive Exterior Styling, New Interior with Driver-Centric Cockpit and New 710-horsepower SRT Hellcat
For Muscle Car People with Families, the 2021 Dodge Durango Features New Aggressive Exterior Styling, New Interior with Driver-Centric Cockpit and New 710-horsepower SRT Hellcat
- Powered by the proven supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI® Hellcat V-8 engine paired with the quick-shifting TorqueFlite 8HP95 eight-speed automatic transmission, the three-row muscle car Dodge Durango joins Challenger and Charger in Hellcat form, delivering 710 horsepower and 875 Nm of torque
- Durango SRT Hellcat runs 0-100 km/h in 3.5 seconds, has a National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) certified quarter-mile elapsed time of 11.5 seconds, a top speed of 290 km/h and runs 1.5 seconds faster than the current SRT 392 on a 3.4 km road course, equal to 9 car lengths after one lap
- Dodge will build the Durango SRT Hellcat for the 2021 model year only
- The 2021 Durango lineup features an updated aggressive exterior with a forward-leaning profile capturing Charger Widebody design cues with the new front fascia, LED low/high headlamps, signature LED daytime running lamps (DRL), grille, rear spoiler and wheel options
- Performance-inspired interior features a new driver-oriented cockpit, including new instrument panel, wrapped and accent-stitched mid-bolster and center console, upgraded door panels, and the all-new five-times-faster Uconnect 5, with the largest-in-class available 10.1-inch touchscreen
- The new Tow N Go Package, available on the Durango R/T, leverages its 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 performance, SRT’s menacing looks, muscular front and rear fender flares, and black Brembo six-piston brakes, all while delivering best-in-class towing of 3,946 kg, an increased top speed of 233 km/h, Track, Sport, Snow and Tow drive modes and a new SRT-tuned performance exhaust with an iconic Dodge exhaust rumble
- No SUV in the world can tow more or carry more with a faster quarter-mile time than the Durango SRT Hellcat. Durango SRT Hellcat, SRT 392 and R/T Tow N Go models outhaul every full-size, three-row SUV on the road with best-in-class towing capability of 3,946 Kg
- Dealer orders open this summer and vehicles are scheduled to start arriving in the region’s Dodge//SRT dealerships in mid-2021.
July 6th, 2020, Auburn Hills, Mich. - A muscle SUV for muscle car people with families, the Dodge Durango joins the Challenger and Charger in SRT Hellcat form as the most powerful SUV ever.
Powered by the proven supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI® Hellcat V-8 engine delivering 710 horsepower and 875 Nm of torque, the Durango SRT Hellcat runs 0-100 Km/h in 3.5 seconds, has a National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) certified quarter-mile elapsed time of 11.5, a top speed of 290 km/h and runs 1.5 seconds faster than the current SRT 392 on a 3.4 km road course, equal to 9 car lengths after one lap.
"Dodge includes families of all sizes and the Durango delivers Dodge performance as the Charger of the three-row SUV segment,” said Tim Kuniskis, Global Head of Alfa Romeo and Head of Passenger Cars - Dodge, SRT, Chrysler and FIAT, FCA - North America. "And new for 2021, we have raised the bar even higher. The 710-horsepower Hellcat is the most powerful SUV ever. It’s the last piece of the puzzle and, alongside the Charger and Challenger, completes the Dodge brand’s performance lineup.”
Dodge will build the Durango SRT Hellcat for the 2021 model year only.
Beyond the SRT Hellcat, the entire Durango lineup for 2021 features new aggressive exterior styling, a new interior with a Challenger-inspired, driver-centric cockpit, five-times-faster Uconnect 5 on the available, largest-in-class 10.1-inch touchscreen and more performance than ever with six distinct models - GT, Citadel, R/T, SRT 392 and SRT Hellcat.
No SUV in the world can tow more or carry more with a faster quarter-mile time than the Durango SRT Hellcat. The Durango continues its ability to out-haul every full-size, three-row SUV on the road with the SRT Hellcat, SRT 392 and R/T Tow N Go delivering best-in-class towing capability of 3,946 kg.
2021 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat is the most powerful SUV ever
Designed and engineered to push the boundaries of what an SUV can be, the 2021 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat is powered by the proven supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI® Hellcat V-8 engine, which delivers a best-in-class 710 horsepower and 875 Nm. of torque, mated to a standard TorqueFlite 8HP95 eight-speed automatic transmission.
The performance improvements begin with the new front fascia design, a new chin splitter, updated engine oil cooler duct, air guide and snorkel for cold air induction. A new, unique rear spoiler creates an improved aerodynamic balance with the new front-end design, resulting in a massive increase in rear downforce of more than 400 percent (64 kg @290 km/h).
SRT engineers upgraded the Durango SRT Hellcat to improve handling, including several race-inspired technologies and Brembo brakes, resulting in performance numbers never before seen on a Durango.
Compared with the previous top performance Durango, the 2020 Durango SRT 392, the new 2021 Durango SRT Hellcat has an upgraded suspension that delivers:
- More comfort in Auto mode and better handling in Track mode:
- Thanks to a tuned internal rebound spring coupled with a matched upper top mount, the dynamic tuning range is increased
- Rear damper top mounts are 18 percent stiffer
- More responsiveness with 20 percent increase in total rebound control
- More grip with reduced understeer by 2.5 percent, allowing the driver to go into a corner faster and exit quicker
- More stability turning into corners with an improved roll gradient of 5 percent
The 2021 Durango SRT 392 adopts the rebound spring shocks and the upper rear top mounts from the SRT Hellcat suspension, which helps to deliver faster lap times and better handling compared to the outgoing model.
The Durango SRT Hellcat comes standard with electric power steering (EPS) with selectable steering tuning to better manage increased grip, both improving handling performance and delivering better steering feel and ease of turning efforts at parking lot speeds.
- With EPS and standard SRT drive modes accessed via the new 10.1-inch touchscreen, drivers can tailor their driving experience by controlling transmission shift speeds, steering, paddle shifters, traction, all-wheel drive (AWD) and suspension settings
- SRT Drive modes offer selectable settings for Street (Auto), Sport and Track, while the Custom setting allows the driver to select individual preferences
Race-inspired technologies that come standard for both 2021 Durango SRT models also bolster performance:
- Launch Control - easily accessed from a toggle switch in the cockpit, manages tire slip while launching the vehicle to allow the driver to achieve consistent straight-line acceleration
- Launch Assist - uses wheel speed sensors to watch for driveline-damaging wheel hop at launch and, in milliseconds, modifies the engine torque to regain full grip
The 2021 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat delivers excellent braking performance, requiring 35m to come to a full stop from 100km/h. The credit belongs to the massive standard Brembo high-performance six-piston, two-piece (front) and four-piston (rear) calipers, and vented rotors at all four corners measuring 15.75 inches (front) and 13.8 inches (rear).
Durango-specific tuning, weight distribution, wheelbase and reduced understeer equals more grip and improved cornering. SRT engineers took the most powerful SUV ever to the track to see what it can do.
The result: The 2021 Durango SRT Hellcat runs 0-100 km/h in 3.5 seconds, covers the quarter-mile in 11.5 seconds and has a top speed of 290 km/h. It also delivers a road course lap time 1.5 seconds faster than the 2020 Durango SRT 392 on a 3.4 km road course, equal to 9 car lengths after one lap.
Heart of a Hellcat
The heart of the 2021 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat is the renown, supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI® V-8, with 710 horsepower at 6,100 rpm and 875 Nm of torque.
A hallmark of the Hellcat engine is delivering unmatched, attention-getting performance when ordered up by the driver’s right foot, while also providing smooth and refined power flow during daily driving duties or while cruising the open road.
SRT powertrain engineers developed and tested the Hellcat engine and tailored it to the Durango, ensuring it reliably handles the rigors of spirited driving in track situations for sustained periods of time without needing to de-rate its power output due to high temperatures.
An important part of that strategy, powertrain engineers created a dedicated cooling circuit for the charge air coolers integrated in the supercharger housing. This cooling circuit includes a pump, coolant reservoir and heat exchanger, and is designed to keep the air flowing into the engine cooler than 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
The twin-screw rotors in the supercharger are set close to minimize air leakage and ensure maximum performance. A proprietary coating on the rotors enables the tight fit, minimizes wear and provides corrosion resistance.
An integrated electronic bypass valve regulates boost pressure to a maximum of 11.6 psi (80 kPa). The 2.38-liter supercharger uses a drive ratio of 2.36:1 and has a maximum speed of 14,600 rpm. It is sealed for life with a premium synthetic oil.
Other key components of the Hellcat engine include:
- Cast-iron engine block with water jackets between the cylinders for optimal cooling
- Forged-steel crankshaft with induction-hardened bearing surfaces
- Specially tuned crankshaft damper, burst tested to 13,000 rpm
- High-strength, forged-alloy pistons
- Powder-forged connecting rods with high-load-capacity bushings and diamond-like, carbon-coated piston pins
- Piston-cooling oil jets
- Heat-treated aluminum-alloy cylinder heads
- Sodium-cooled exhaust valves, hollow-stem intake valves and steel-alloy heads that stand up to temperatures as high as 900 degrees Celsius
A cold-air scoop in the lower front fascia helps feed the supercharger and the Hellcat engine’s 92-mm throttle body.
Two high-flow variable pressure fuel pumps feed the high-performance demands of the Hellcat engine.
The Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat’s exhaust system has been tuned to deliver the throaty, aggressive sound that lets bystanders know this three-row muscle car is something special and distinctly Dodge. The changes include the addition of a 260-millimeter crossover X-pipe, the largest X-pipe in the SRT lineup, to the twin-pipe exhaust.
The Dodge Durango’s Hellcat engine is mated to a robust, quick-shifting, high-performance TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission. The transmission includes provisions for manual shifting via steering-wheel-mounted paddles and has seven available Drive modes - Auto, Sport, Track, Snow, Tow, Eco and Valet.
In addition to the head-turning Durango SRT Hellcat, the entire 2021 Dodge Durango lineup offers buyers a wide range of engine options to suit practically any requirement:
- The 392-cubic-inch HEMI® V-8 delivers 475 horsepower and 637 Nm. of torque. It posts 0-100 km/h acceleration of 4.4 seconds, NHRA-certified quarter-mile time of 12.9 seconds and best-in-class towing capability of 3,946 kg
- The 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 engine is rated at 360 horsepower and 528 Nm. of torque with a tow rating of 3357 kg. Fuel Saver Technology with cylinder-deactivation seamlessly alternates between smooth, high-fuel-economy four-cylinder mode and V-8 mode when more power is demanded
- The new Tow N Go Package available on the Durango R/T leverages its HEMI® V-8 performance to deliver best-in-class towing of 3,946 kg and an increased top speed of 233 km/h
- The 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine generates up to 295 horsepower and 353 Nm of torque. When equipped, the Durango has an available best-in-class V-6 towing capacity of 2,812 kg. Standard engine stop-start (ESS) technology lowers emissions while also saving fuel
New, aggressive and modern exterior styling across the entire Durango lineup
The refreshed exterior on the Durango is distinctly Dodge, maintaining its muscular body and aggressive styling, blending SRT and muscle car DNA throughout the Durango lineup.
Durango’s proud, forward-leaning profile captures some design cues from the latest Charger Widebody with the new front fascia, LED low/high headlamps, signature LED daytime running lamps (DRL), sculpted hood, grille, rear spoiler and a variety of wheel options.
A newly designed front end creates a wide cross-car read with the upper grille, both of which flow into the new slimmer headlamp shape.
The new LED headlamps are slimmer, creating a more modern shape and making Durango look more sinister than ever before. The Durango also features unique Dodge signature LED DRLs. Fog lamps are raised to make the front end feel more alert and aggressive (on non-SRT vehicles); SRT Hellcat deletes the fog lamps to create openings for more airflow to cool the high-performance Hellcat engine.
A new integrated chin splitter for both SRT models was developed in the design studio and in the wind tunnel to create aero balance. The SRT Hellcat is even more aggressive with a new chin splitter, which takes advantage of the two-piece design for added downforce.
Three new unique grille textures are featured across the Durango lineup:
- SRT Hellcat - Functional performance texture with larger openings for improved cooling in Low-gloss Black
- SRT 392, R/T and GT - Aggressive, performance-inspired texture in Low-gloss Black
- Citadel and SXT - Premium painted Low-gloss Granite Crystal
The Durango maintains its world-class precision styling while also sharing the design ethos of the Dodge Charger, with its muscular front and rear flares that accentuate the classic “Coke-bottle” sculpting of the body sides, all of which give Durango an aggressive and powerful stance.
All Durango models feature LED racetrack lighting and new spoilers. A unique performance spoiler is featured on SRT models. Two-piece Satin Chrome SRT Hellcat fender badges flank each side of the Durango SRT Hellcat. When equipped with the SRT Black Package, the Hellcat fender badges turn to a Neutral Grey Metallic finish.
Performance-inspired, all-new driver-oriented cockpit
Along with its ultimate performance capabilities, the new interior on the 2021 Dodge Durango continues to deliver uncompromised utility, advanced technology and aggressive styling. The new interior feels wider than the outgoing model and features a redesigned driver-centric cockpit, instrument panel, center console and front door uppers with new relocated seat memory switches for ease of access across the full Durango lineup for 2021.
The Challenger-inspired driver-oriented cockpit is refined, upscale and high-tech throughout, featuring an available, largest-in-class 10.1-inch touchscreen angled 7 degrees toward the driver.
The new 10.1-inch touchscreen is equipped with the Uconnect 5 system and is a part of the new, driver-oriented instrument panel. A slimmer redesigned integrated center stack (ICS) switch bank mounted below the screen is equipped with chrome-accented toggles and dedicated buttons for heated and cooled seats, making comfort controls easier to access.
A fully electronic, performance-inspired shifter controls the standard TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission and gives the driver the look and feel of a traditional linkage shifter.
A new, wrapped and accent-stitched mid-bolster on the instrument panel is featured throughout the entire Durango lineup. On Durango GT, R/T, Citadel, SRT 392 and SRT Hellcat models, each price class has an available wrapped instrument panel.
All price classes feature a newly designed, roomy console that offers more bin storage, soft-wrapped and accent-stitched surround and available, convenient wireless charging.
The new flat-bottom performance steering wheel, with standard paddle shifters from the Charger and Challenger models, and standard on SRT 392 and Hellcat models, is now also available on Durango GT and R/T models. The steering wheel on SRT models features a backlit SRT logo - red backlight on SRT Hellcat models; white backlight on SRT 392.
2021 Dodge Durango offers largest-in-class 10.1-inch touchscreen with all-new Uconnect 5 system
The 2021 Dodge Durango brings upgrades front and center with the all-new 10.1-inch touchscreen, which is part of the new Uconnect 5 system.
The available 10.1-inch touchscreen with Uconnect 5 is nearly 20 percent larger and enables processing speeds up to five times faster than the previous generation.
New wireless charging keeps personal devices fully charged without charging cords cluttering up the cabin and comes on Durango models equipped with the 10.1-inch touchscreen. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are standard on all Durango models.
The all-new Uconnect 5 system has a Dodge-themed appearance with black and red accents and unique features specific to the new Durango. SRT models have additional unique appearance features, including the SRT “smoke show” start-up animation, SRT serpentine font and some more fun-to-find Easter eggs.
Additional Durango SRT models feature:
- SRT Performance Pages (standard on R/T) provide information on vehicle performance, including timers, gauges for g-force, engine and dyno readouts
- Configurable drive modes provide more vehicle control
- Race options allow the driver to activate, deactivate and adjust the rpm values for Launch Control and Shift Light features
The new Durango offers the all-new Uconnect 5 system, which is five times faster, is more connected, helpful, content-rich and adds greater personalization, making it the most advanced Uconnect system ever. Highlights include:
- Uconnect 5 system offers more connected services and features for unmatched ease of use
- Enables processing speeds five times faster than previous generation using Android operating system
- Six different user profiles (including valet mode) - each user can build their own profile with feature preferences for their home screen, music, comfort settings and vehicle operation
- Switching between user profiles is simple and can be handled by a single touch
- Ability to easily swipe between subcategories/screens
- Ability to connect two phones simultaneously with Bluetooth capability, for users who carry multiple phones or for passenger interaction with the Uconnect system along with the driver
- Easy to personalize home screen allows the user to position high-use functions from their favorite apps together in one simple interface:
- Personalized content includes quick music controls, comfort settings (temperature, seating position and mirror), vehicle specific features, phone favorites, recent calls, navigation map and more
- Uconnect 5 system accessible for both novice and expert users alike
Distinct Colors and Appearance Packages available across the Durango lineup
Dodge Durango customers have an array of appearance options from which they can choose. There are 11 exterior colors and a wide variety of interior trim selections.
Available Exterior Colors:
- Billet Silver
- DB Black
- Destroyer Grey
- F8 Green
- Octane Red
- Reactor Blue
- Vice White
- White Knuckle
For more than 100 years, the Dodge brand has carried on the spirit of brothers John and Horace Dodge. Their influence continues today as Dodge shifts into high gear with muscle cars and SUVs that deliver unrivaled performance in each of the segments where they compete.
2021 marks the year that Dodge is distilled into a pure performance brand, offering Hellcat-powered, 700+ horsepower SRT versions of every model across the lineup. For the 2021 model year, Dodge delivers the drag-strip dominating 807-horsepower Dodge Challenger SRT Super Stock, the new 797-horsepower Dodge Charger SRT Redeye, the most powerful and fastest mass-produced sedan in the world, and the new 710-horsepower Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat, the most powerful SUV ever. Combined, these three muscle cars make Dodge the industry’s most powerful brand, offering more horsepower than any other American brand across its entire lineup.
In June 2020, Dodge was named the "#1 Brand in Initial Quality," making it the first domestic brand ever to rank No. 1 in the J.D. Power Initial Quality Study (IQS). Dodge is part of the portfolio of brands offered by global automaker Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. For more information regarding FCA (NYSE: FCAU/ MTA: FCA), please visit www.fcagroup.com.
Dodge//SRT offers a range of performance vehicles that stand out in their own segments. Dodge is the mainstream performance brand and SRT is positioned as the ultimate performance halo of the Dodge brand, together creating a complete and balanced performance brand with one vision and one voice. For more than 100 years, the Dodge brand has carried on the spirit of brothers John and Horace Dodge, who founded the brand in 1914. Their influence continues today. The 2019 Middle East Dodge line-up includes the Charger, Challenger, Durango and Neon - a range that offers performance at every price point.
For more information, please contact: